Never forget those who have died because of various sex offender laws.

May 1, 2012

Sex offenders could lose parental rights under law signed by Gov. Rick Snyder

Again we see Federal law overriding state law for the want of Federal Funds. The State's arm is bent if they do not follow federal law; CAPTA!
5-1-2012 Michigan:

LANSING, MI — Gov. Rick Snyder signed a law on Tuesday that allows a family court to terminate parental rights for sex offenders.

Senate Bill 1005, sponsored by Sen. Judy Emmons, R-Sheridan, passed both chambers unanimously.

Sex offenders could have lost parental rights if they violated certain portions of the existing juvenile code, but the amended law now explicitly includes a parent’s requirement to register under the Sex Offenders Registration Act as a reason the family court may terminate a parent’s parental rights.

The bill brings state law in line with federal guidelines as required by the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act Reauthorization Act of 2010.

The state had to make this and other clarifications to the juvenile code in order to qualify for about $800,000 in federal funding for child abuse and neglect prevention activities, according to the Senate Fiscal Agency.

“Our children deserve a safe, nurturing environment in which to grow and develop,” Snyder said in a statement. “Protecting them from any type of abuse is a key priority.” ..Source.. by Melissa Anders

7 comments:

  1. More media lies about sex offenders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the Government cuts off a sex offender's parental rights, would that person still be responsible for seeing that the child goes to school, has food and clothing and other necessities of the child's life?

    Will they still be forced to pay child support (if divorced) for a child they cannot have anything to do with?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can take parental Rights away from Sex Offerenders, dont ya think that you should worry about the raptist, murderers, and list goes on. Yoi should be more worried about the raptist and the murders i know i would.

    Www.womenagainstregistry@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I continue to be VERY bothered by these bills where somebody is punished just because they are on the registry, without any regard for their specific personal circumstances. Their reason for being on the registry may not in any way relate to their ability to successfully parent a child. For example, how can anyone assume that a man who was convicted of the date rape of his girlfriend when he was 17 is now unfit to be a parent to his son 15 years later? Not only is there no risk to the son that needs to be mitigated, but such an action would clearly be detrimental to the child.

    I recently lobbied against a similar bill in SC that would have prohibited Family Court judges from granting legal custody of a minor to anyone on the registry. Thankfully, that provision was dropped from the bill. We must all continue to fight AGGRESSIVELY against these hateful actions that are based on the predator stereotype associated with RSOs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are currently in a court battle with DSS in South Carolina.My wife and I are on the registry.Only a few minutes after our child came into this world,DSS forced her to sign a "safety plan" while she was on morphine for pain after a c-section.The chilld went home with her Mom and was with her for 2 months.Now the child has been placed in foster care.Our rights to be parents have not been terminated nor will they ever be.There are no laws here that say we can't be parents.We live with my sister who is also registered.What good does this do to terminate S.O.parental rights?DSS and foster care systems would be full?We as S.O.parents love our child.There was never any threat or risk of sexual abuse or neglect.These were lies told by my wifes Mom,so stated on Facebook."I believe that DSS should take custody of the child and place him with a "christian" family.This is her grandchild.We have shot down all of the accusation by DSS.The judge in our case is saying because we live with our sister we cannot have our child.Again there is NO law that states we cannot live here and have our child.Yes,There are offenders who have an ongoing wrap sheet.We have made mistakes in our lives and want to move on.Laws like this SHOULD NOT be put into law.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DonT you are on the right path people like you are a blessing to all on the registry.People need to be schooled as to the types of sex crimes that can get you placed on the registry and the types of offenders there are,predatory and nonpredatory.We have done our time either in prison or on probation.We are human and just want to live our lives with as much normality as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm curious how long a person is going to be punished for their crime? I'm an RSO & will be for another 6 yrs. minimum. I served my sentence, "voluntarily" completed over 2 yrs of treatment & counseling.and have approx. 16 wks of probation left. I have moved on w/ my life. However, I was told today that my unborn child (due in Oct.) will be taken away from me due to my criminal history. I've never hurt any of my children. I'm not saying this to minimize my offense, it was a horrible act.
    Being an RSO does not mean you're a predator. It does not mean that that you cannot be a good parent and role model. I've worked very hard. I'm not the man I once was. I made a horrible mistake for sure. But I'm also not a danger to my baby.

    ReplyDelete

We use the Disqus Commenting system, please wait for it to load. Also, comments are moderated, please stick to the issue of the post, as we are trying to have an intelligent, relevant discussion which develops the post. Comments deviating from topic of post will not be posted. Thanks