Never forget those who have died because of various sex offender laws.

August 28, 2013

What types of jobs are available for a sex offender seeking employment?

8-28-2013 National:

What types of jobs are available for a sex offender seeking employment?

Q: Hi. I am a 25 year old man and worked so hard to have a bachelor degree in Electronics and a master degree in Electrical Engineering. I was happy working for a good company. Now I lost my job because I made the biggest mistake of my life. As a sex offender I will be on probation for 5 years. What possibility or alternatives do I have now to work again in my career? And where??? Any information will be really appreciated. Thank you. Paul - Folsom, CA

A: In most states, employers are forced to walk a delicate line between their obligation to provide a safe workplace for employees--and the ramifications for them if they fail to do so--and their obligation to refrain from considering an employee's criminal history, except as it relates to suitability for employment.

Negligent hiring refers to the hiring of individuals who the employer knew, or should have known, were unfit for hiring. Negligent retention refers to existing employees who the employer learns are unfit for continued employment.

Unfortunately, most companies don't want to run the risk of being sued for negligent hiring so you will want to stay away from occupations that deal directly with people such as nursing or teaching.

Sex Offenders are most likely to get hired in the following industries:
Warehousing; Construction; Building Trades; Animal Shelters; Janitorial Services; Automotive Services; Assembly/Manufacturing; and Trucking.
Another opportunity to consider is self-employment or consulting in your field of engineering where you can work from home and do not have to be at the workplace full-time. ..Source.. by Personal Finance: Ask the Experts with Claudia Buck

No comments:

Post a Comment

We use the Disqus Commenting system, please wait for it to load. Also, comments are moderated, please stick to the issue of the post, as we are trying to have an intelligent, relevant discussion which develops the post. Comments deviating from topic of post will not be posted. Thanks